now browsing by author
In a recent column I found myself quoting a man I met nearly 30 years ago. I didn’t just use one of his quotes, actually, I found I have been quoting him regularly without even thinking about it. That man is Tom Hopkins, author of more than 20 books including Selling For Dummies.
Hopkins has been helping sales people and executives achieve success for more nearly 4 decades and his advice never grows old. I was lucky enough to sit down for a rare personal conversation with Tom last week and get him to share his insights. We discussed which success actions seem to surprise people the most. We agreed that these were 10 of the most effective tips:
1. Covet your time. Time is precious–only 86,400 seconds in a day. Average people waste most of those seconds in unproductive or unrewarding ways. Successful people manage their time efficiently. They are aware of how they spend it and make conscious choices to use it wisely whether to work, relax or regenerate with family.
2. Have a personal mission statement. Hopkins has his personal mission statement at his desk: I must do the most productive thing possible at every given moment. Mine is peppered throughout my published writing: Inspire people to pursue the awesome experience. Successful people identify what they are about and make their choices accordingly.
3. Spend 5 minutes a day prioritizing. Without prioritization, it’s difficult to be efficient and productive. Hopkins suggests taking 5 minutes at the end of every day to sit down, assess and choose the 5 or 6 priorities for tomorrow so you can begin with clarity. Successful people don’t squander effort and energy on unimportant issues.
4. Surround yourself with likeminded people. Wealth, status and accomplishment have their own rewards, but the more success you attain, the lonelier you can become, since others may no longer feel comfortable or relate to your lifestyle. Successful people are careful about who shares their time. They look for people with a similar outlook, who can help them grow emotionally and spiritually.
5. Be a follow up specialist. Many people talk a good game and then never deliver. Sometimes the cause is hypocrisy and sometimes it’s simply being sloppy and careless. Successful people do what they say they’ll do, and they pay close attention to detail so small issues don’t get neglected and become major catastrophes.
6. Take the best of the past to create the future. The world is full of shiny new toys and methods. It’s easy for humanity to get lost in the glitz and glamour of modern technology. Successful people embrace modern tools for communication efficiency and continue to use traditional and rare methods like handwritten thank-you notes to enhance connections.
7. Don’t be a lemming. If you are always heading the same direction as everyone else, you may move forward, but you’ll have little control of your destiny. Successful people often figure out what everyone else does only to do the opposite, which many times puts them ahead of the pack.
8. Keep a thick skin about rejection. For many each no is like taking a punch in the gut or a slap in the face. The way to get up and keep going is to remember that it’s just business. Successful people know that the key to getting life’s few brilliant “yeses” is to positively cope with the many “noes” you get on the way to receiving them.
9. Make others feel important. The greatest craving of most people today is recognition. Unfortunately, so many people are so tightly focused on their own status and problems they are ignorant to the needs of others. Successful people recognize, support and encourage others on their journey, which brings synergy, energy and satisfaction to all involved.
10. Strive for more. Tom Hopkin’s overall philosophy for success can be best summed up by his commitment on how to live life:
“I commit to learn more,
thus I’ll serve more,
thus I’ll build more,
thus I’ll earn more,
thus I’ll save more,
thus I’ll be able to bless others by giving more.”
Thank you for blessing us with your wisdom Tom.
How to be the best salesman?
Many of us are salesmen or related to sales. We all want to have the best salesmanship. We all want to have the convincing power. We all wonder how to sell our products or services. So here are some tips to be the best salesman. Follow them, practice them and you will surely find the positive results.
- Know your customers and their needs first.
You should not start your lectures just after meeting the client. First know your client. Know his family background, his financial status and his thoughts. Then ask him what he wants. Then only it will be easier for you to convince them.
2.Know your products and services the best.
You are there with your client to sell your product or service. So definitely you have to praise your product/service and for that you have to know your product/service the best. If anyone asks you about your product/service and you are not able to answer it, or don’t know perfectly about it, know that you have lost the client.
3.Compare with other companies’ products and services.
Also, you have to know other companies’ products as well because you have to compare your products/services with them. You should count the positive factors or elements that your product/service contains in comparison with other companies’ product/service.
You have to be confident about your product/service and every single word you use to convince your client.
5.Be the friend of your customer and build trust.
Don’t show more formalities to your client. Everyone understands formalities. They will definitely understand why you are doing all these formalities. Instead, be his friend and get him understand that you are convincing him because you want them to be happy and satisfied after purchasing your product/service, not only for your profit purpose.
6.Every customer is important.
Don’t ignore the small clients. Give importance to them also and try to get them to purchase big amounted product/service. Or it may that they would purchase lower amounted product/service but refer to other people and they may purchase big amounted product/service. So give importance to every client. They can be your diamond.
7.Show freshness always.
Don’t get tired selling. Show that you like to sell the product/service. Show freshness always otherwise your client will not like even to talk to you and ignore you.
8.Show happiness to work in your company.
You should show happiness to work in your company. You should show that you like your company very much and it is a very nice company.
9.Value your look and clothes.
Value your look and your clothes every time. Choose always cool colored clothes and wear them appropriately. Comb you hair nicely, and don’t forget to shave every day.
10.Give the best option at least.
Your client will always try to find negative points from your products/services to ignore or to get them at lower price. So give them chance to find negative points by serving them worse schemes first. Know what points they put as excuses to ignore the product/service and at least give them the best scheme that fill all the lacks they found in previous schemes. They have to accept the last one because they don’t have excuses now.
We all know that no situation is permanent in any business, because there are lots of factors are affecting any business. No business is exceptional in this case. Every businessman has to survive with Indoor and outdoor crisis, but there are some methods, some tips to get the business safe from crisis. Right decisions at right time are very necessary when surviving with crisis. Let’s discuss the tips here…
- To evaluate the events. The events and circumstances are the roof of the crisis and their effects should be evaluated. For this, required information regarding responsible events should be collected quickly and how much damage is caused by them should be evaluated.
- To think over the alternatives to prevent crisis. With the help of experts which alternatives are available to remove the crisis should be thought over. E.g. to solve the company from the notable decrease in the sale and to decrease the price of the product, or to increase the sale, either to increase advertisement or to implement sales promotion schemes or to increase the trade discount etc.
- Implementation of selected alternative. The alternative which is proper at the viewpoint of time, expense and effectiveness to remove crisis should be properly evaluated and before its implementations, those employees and officers who are going to involve should be taken into confidence. Everybody should be delegated responsibility and should be given necessary instructions to solve the crisis.
- Evaluation of results. After implementing the decided plans to remove crisis, the improvement in the circumstances should be evaluated. At this stage problems faced and defects remaining during the implementation of plans should be noted.
How can you do fun with Google?
Try the below mentioned tricks with Google and have fun.
1. Type “do a barrel roll” (without quotes) in Google and do nothing. See what happens.
2. Type “zerg rush” in search box (without quotes) and wait for some time. See what happens.
3. Type “Google Gravity” and click on the first link you have in the search results. They play with mouse cursor with the google results and type in the search box, play with google logo, search box, and results.
4. Search in Google – “Google Rainbow” and click on the first link.
5. Type in Google – “tilt” or “askew” and check what happens.
6. Search in Google – “Google Mentalplex” and open the first link. Read the instructions and have fun.
7. Open this page http://www.darkartsmedia.com/google.html and then get your cursor over two “OO” of Google and it will vanish. Try to get your cursor over the two OO and they will vanish and again come back.
8. Search in Google – “Google Hacker” and click on “I am feeling Lucky”. Enjoy!
9. Search in Google – “Google Loco” and click on “I am feeling Lucky”. Enjoy again!
10. Search in Google – “Google Epic” and click on “I am feeling Lucky”. Enjoy again!
11. Place your name in place of Google. Go to –goglogo.com and enter your name that you want to keep in place of Google and enjoy!